Match № 27
The match № 27, play-off, seventh tournament day
FINLAND – ESTONIA 0:0 (0:0), pen. 2:4
January 9th, 2014, St. Petersburg, Peterburgsky SCC, 200 spectators
Referees: Artem Polyakov, Vladislav Lyashko, Ivan Guryev
Finland: Mujunen, Antikainen, Friberg (Lehtinen, 46), Salmela, Jensen (c) (Lassas, 46), Nurmela, Savolainen (Jarvinen, 57), Peiponen (Karlsson, 79), Blomqvist (Jaaskelainen, 46), Pietola, Rama (Jouini, 46)
Head coach: Jarkko Wiss
Estonia: Karofeld, Reintal, Kuusk, Juha, Ainsalu, Jarva, Sappinen (c), Riiberg, Pjurg, Kaldma (Paavo, 83), Jakovlev
Head coach: Marko Lelov
Yellow cards: Friberg (26), Juha (36), Riiberg (65), Jouini (87), Salmela (89), Antikainen (90)
Best players: Alex Antikainen, Herol Riiberg
After match comments
Head coach of the team Finland Jarkko Wiss:
– It was a hard game. Both teams had the desire to win, but weariness didn't let anyone to score.
– Richard Jensen, the player with number 8, joined the team not long ago. Today he went to the pitch with a captain's armlet...
– I've already talked about him. He is from Twente FC. The club let him help us. He integrated into the squad at once. Coaches' staff decided to give him a captain's armlet, because he is a real leader of the squad by his playing skills and by the authority.
– In previous matches distant kicks made the advantage for your team. You've noted it personally. Why your players didn't use them in this match?
– First of all, players are really tired. There is not enough strength. Also Estonians didn't let us make distant kicks.
Head coach of the team Estonia Marko Lelov:
– It was an equal and difficult match. For sure, we needed more scoring moments, but the weariness is too high already. There is a hard schedule. We failed scoring moments, but I'm satisfied with the performance of my players. They obeyed my instructions totally. We played from defense in the first half. In the second we transferred to the attacking scheme. The one disappointed thing is the beginning of the halves.
– The group stage is already finished, the play-off round is going on. You can meet the team of Ukraine on the next stage. Will you fight till the end?
– Ukraine hasn't qualified yet to the next stage. It can be Czech Republic who wins the match, you know. Frankly, I want to play against Czech Republic, because we are holding the parley with them about friendly matches in the nearest future.
– You have made only one substitution for the whole match...
– You asked me very uncomfortable question. As a matter of fact I did not have any other changes, but let me say: I keep my players to the next match.