Match № 15
The match № 15, group D, fourth tournament day
LATVIA – TURKEY 1:0 (0:0)
January 6th, 2014, St. Petersburg, Peterburgsky SCC, 700 spectators
Referees: Artyom Polyakov, Ivan Guryev, Vladislav Lyashko
Latvia: Kurakins, Kolesovs, Bezushchonoks (c), Litvinskis, Krushatins (Chernomordijs, 71), Karklinsh, Jurkovskis, Strazdinsh (Jekabsons, 90), Dubrovskis, Balinsh, Kupchs
Head coach: Vladimirs Babichevs
Turkey: Demirlek, Zengin (c) (Demir Ar., 59), Unver, Ersoy, Bilem, Vatansever (Erdogan, 80), Kilic (Aydin, 46), Okutan, Camoglu (Altintas, 46), Sucsuz (Сınar, 46), Yaman
Head coach: Mehmet Hacioglu
Goal: Karklinsh (76, pen.)
Yellow cards: Bezushchonoks (21), Ersoy (25), Jurkovskis (59), Balinsh (67), Demirlek (75), Erdogan (84)
Best players: Vladislav Kurakins, Ertugrul Ersoy
After match comments
Head coach of the team Latvia Vladimirs Babichevs:
– I'm satisfied with the game and with the result. Comparing with previous one, we improved. The team showed its character, I think it was the main reason of our victory.
– On the last press conference you said you couldn't recognize your team. Has anything changed today?
– I became the head coach of this team several days before the tournament, and when I talked this way I meant that my expectations of this team were much higher. Today I can say for sure that my players have the potential.
– You have made only one substitution during the main time of the match. Is it a problem of injuries?
– No. I have defined the line-up of the team. Today you have seen the main staff of Latvian team of this age.
– Also on the past press conference you said that you would talk seriously with the team –
– Yes, I did it. It was a long and serious talk with my players. I won't tell you the specifics of it: the main thing is the result of this talk is on the scoreboard today. I'm happy that I succeeded and evoked my squad. I just tried to share with them my own experience, my own life.
Head coach of the team Turkey Mehmet Hacioglu:
– I'll try to speak Russian if you please. I congratulate my colleague with the deserved victory. My team, in their turn, haven't deserved good results with their playing.
– We've already got used to the fact that Turkish team is always very emotional on the pitch. But at this tournament we can see absolutely different staff. Both the players and coaches are rather quiet –
– You are quite right. The main thing I want my players to understand is: you are first a man and then a football player. Maintaining human behavior is always important. So we must first learn game discipline.
– At this tournament you got into the group with no obvious leaders. Could you give estimation to your opponents?
– These competitions are unique because nobody looks at the others. Our first goal in coming here was to train the playing of our athletes, trying different schemes. So, with my due respect to the other teams, my objective is to watch playing of my team, to realize its potential and its weak and strong points.